Take Care about some files

Just every day general shtuff.
Gollum
Game Name: <ACR> Gollum

Take Care about some files

Unread post by Gollum » July 4th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Meow ,

Just a message to explain the problem i had in game because a bad file in my folders.
Some of you know i had problem to remove a sound i heard each time something appeared on my screen (chat, server message, people join server). It's not a steam or game option.

In fact i have in my Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life\valve_downloads\sound\misc a file called talk.wav. I deleted it (after hours of search ><) and now i don't hear this sound in game anymore (same sound of bell1.wav if you want to search and listen ^^).

Hum i'm thinking i have to remove it from ftp server too. So server admins take care about it if you use your ftp like me, as a big backup of your HL files.

Thanks for reading and CU in Game :)

Gollum
Game Name: <ACR> Gollum

Re: Take Care about some files

Unread post by Gollum » July 4th, 2013, 5:01 pm

I just did a web search and look what i read from a guy who posted message to valve (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/halflife/issues/1122)

"Hello this is just a tiny problem with my main HLDM client. What it is that when I type in a chat like using "say hello" or any general "say" commands the message appears but doesn't make a beep sound. And I realised in my developer console that /sound/misc/talk.wav is missing. So I managed to copy the talk.wav file from /tfc/sound/misc/talk.wav in valve/sound/misc/ folder and fixed it. Also ive inputed most of my HLDM maps with a .res file that includes "sound/misc/talk.wav" in my server to allow my players to automatically download the missing talk.wav file, as well copying the talk.wav file in my server FTP."

So i understand now why some servers put this file to download. So it seems we have choice to keep this file (personally i became crazy for some chats with many players lol) and i think plugin sanksounds is better for servers; but the tip could be you choose by yourself a sound you like, rename it in talk.wav and put it in your folders ;)

So make your choice!! :mrgreen: